Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Smells like BBQ in here...

We left at 6 AM and got here just before 6 PM yesterday. We only had one flat tire and it wasn't as bad of a trip as I remember. We got in and ate at Barak Obama cafe. Haha I love Bongolo.

This morning we went to put screen on the materinity ward windows, but one of the nurse missionaries knew that a few of us wanted to be able to see all that the doctors and nurses do, so I took the opportunity. After they put us in scrubs, another girl and I, went on rounds with the surgeons, which was lead by Dave Thompson, who is an awesome guy and was the one who started the Hospital. We saw a man who had been hit by a car and other injuries like that. After an hour or so we were able to go watch a surgery in the OR. The first surgery was an umbilical hernia on a woman. That surgery took only about a half hour, then we waited around as they prepped another woman for surgery.

We watched them give her an epidural, which was the only thing that really bothered me. It was about a four inch needle going onto her spine. That was nasty. We watched them remove two cysts from her ovaries, which was also awesome to see. In both surgeries we were able to stand right there next to the table. I was close enough to smell it. Simply awesome.

This afternoon a few of us went down to the river down below the hospital. One of my few fears is being in water that I cant see in that's over my head. I had to get over it quick.
It was so awesome. I wish I could had taken my camera to get pictures of swimming in a river in the middle of a rain forest. All I could think about at the time was the movie Anaconda. Is that sad?

So. Not sure was is going on tomorrow, except that I hope to be able to shadow a nurse or something in the hospital.

Days like today make me just want to worship. Its so awesome to see Gods plans unravel.

Isaiah 55:8


"For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD.


So, just keep praying that as my time here is winding to a close, that God will keep revealing Himself and His plan all the more.

Miss you all

3 comments:

  1. so glad the trip went better than you had expected and experienced last time! that is awesome you got to shadow dave thompson!! wow!!! i have been praying you would be able to experience different things in the medical field to see if that is the way you should head! hmmm... glad you were safe in the river.... another answer to pray!i love seeing GOD's hand and sense HIS presence... keep your eyes open! :) xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drew - old man Holler here. After 8 weeks I think I can safely post something ... great to hear of your experiences ... everything that happens to us is for a direct purpose of furthering GOD'S Will for the World and helps us in the execution of that wonderful plan of our lives ... I thank GOD for your willingness to be HIS Hands, Feet, etc. as ever, in HIM and HIM alone, Fred

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. it's awesome to see how much you're learning.

    ReplyDelete