Monday, July 26, 2010

I love Bongolo.

I got to go on rounds with a nurse at the hospital on Friday. I watched another nurse clean and dress an amputees wound. The woman had Diabetes and so the amputated a little below the hip. Down the hall was a man with tuberculosis who didnt have money to pay for food. He wasnt gaining any weight and needed food with more protein. The Nurse I was with was able to get the equivalent of $20 for him and his family for the week.
I could see myself working in a place like Bongolo Hospital.
I wish we could have stayed longer. It was an awesome time.

SO. I just found out last night that I will be going to Cameroon on Saturday with a local church. Its the first missions trip from the national church, with about 8 from the church going and 4 of us interns. some will be working on building a church, and others will get to run medical clinics. Only problem is that its a 14 hour drive. I hate long car rides. I better get some Dramamine. Just pray for safety for our trip and wisdom for the driver. Also for health. Dont worry Dad, its a safe place.

Love you guys

2 comments:

  1. hey, Drew...I knew you would love Bongolo...I think you COULD work there!!! I'm sure God is showing you some new things that you didn't even know were part of you. Allow him to continue to direct you and be open to whatever He is saying. I'll be praying for the 14hr ride...praying for a real heavy SLEEP! Keep on...you'll be back before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UM!!!!! Last post about shadowing that doctor and this post about shadowing the nurse!!!
    SO FREAKING AWESOME!!! It's like all our favorite CSI shows in real life!!
    So unfair...
    I really really really can see you doing that for the rest of your life... As much as that just makes my stomach turn to think about you in another country for the rest of our lives...
    WE MISS YOU!!!
    summer is just not the same without you...
    Can't wait to hear EVERYTHING.
    Praying for you as always...
    LOVE, Kelly

    ReplyDelete